Tuesday 27 September 2016

Djinni

I must have started reading the Bartimaeus trilogy around the age of seventeen. I was in the middle of my moody hormonal teenage years and fled to the fantasy genre for comfort. And found Bartimaeus. Equal parts sarcasm and vindictiveness*, Bartimaeus really spoke to me**. So much so I have all four books written*** about this little djinn****. They are described as children's books but I still think they have elements even adults can enjoy*****.
Obviously, I had to grab the opportunity to meet Jonathan Stroud as he visited Gothenburg last week and so I did. Such a wonderful man.

*both Bartimaeus and I
**well, not me personally
***Amulet of Samarkand, Golem's Eye, Ptolemy's Gate, Ring of Solomon
****Bartimaeus wouldn't agree on the "little"
*****and bring your enjoyment of footnotes to a whole new level

1 comment: